Monday, April 16, 2007

Motorblog Old Age What? After spending more than a few idle moments wondering if and when I'm ever going to cross this fabled line into old age, I've reached a conclusion. Old age has its uniform by which we are identified, and that, as far as I'm concerned, is on the other side of the line, and it's a long way off.
And this fabled line we may or may not cross, is this.
On the one side of it you're doing what you always did by wearing the jeans and a T-shirt. On the other, you're wearing a conventional shirt and tie and Marks & Spencer slacks.
And the reason most guys usually cross this imaginary line into old age where the jeans and T-shirt are exchanged for that conventional shirt, the tie and the M & S slacks, is this. If we keep wearing the favourite jeans and T-shirt we become known as 'the oldest swinger in town,' so we buy the M & S togs so that we blend into the anonymity and conformity of old age; to look, well, quite simply, old.
But right here and right now at 55 years of age, I can't see me doing that, so they'll definitely be calling me the oldest swinger in town.
Well, I can handle that, because when they say it, they never say it to your face.