Sunday, October 25, 2009

Not On My Doorstep: Delivering publicity postcards around Upton during December 2008 for the 'When Upton Had Trains' book was quite an eye opener. And whilst I am one of the first to voice the opinion to any and all tradesman and / or representatives of the various gas, electricity, double glazing firms and the numerous religions that if I want it, then I'll find you; they don't seem to take the hint. But on my travels, some of the cards and plaques on display warning such folk away were rather amusing.
There are dozens with 'We Do Not Buy From Doorstep Sellers,' so many in fact that I began thinking that even my postcard would not be welcome, but come on; the book is about Upton, the place you live! And it doesn't mean you're expected to buy a copy, it's just to let you know it's out there if you happen to want it?
Books about Poole and the surrounding towns and villages have always been of interest, and lately, including my own, there seems to be a fair few on the market which do quite well for the accompanying nostalgia factor. But other than buying a copy of The Daily Echo every day, and presuming they have covered every local interest book that's ever been published; there are dozens of them out there which have flown beneath The Echo's radar. Perhaps it's a case of the author being too shy to send them a copy for review? Perhaps they didn't think their publication was worthy of appearing in the local paper? But The Echo can only review or feature books if they are sent in, so if they didn't get one, that's the main reason.
So, during the miles I walked around the roads, closes, lanes and drives of Upton delivering these cards, I trod ground which, despite my almost exclusive lifetime of living in Upton, I had never trodden before. This was quite something to do, and I enjoyed it a great deal as there are some people, most of my family included, who have never done so and probably never will; and I still have quite a few more miles to cover.
But the most amusing yet at the same time petrifying message I read through an opaque front door glass or porch window; pictured an Alsation's head with bolt upright ears and a lolling tongue, along with the blood-curdling legend: He can reach the gate in 6 seconds; how fast are you?